Friday, April 2, 2010

4 Questions, 9 Languages, Seasons Beatings!

For this post, we're putting the Kosher back in the Waffle. Judaism and faith are a big part of my life, and they have been an important and often fun part of my time in Belgium. I found a wonderful Jewish community in Brussels soon after I arrived in this country and have been fortunate to spend a handful of holidays with them, High and other. The latest, Passover, was such a treat since I was able to see most of my congregant favorites for one last time, enjoy some good, Jewy food, and beat these great people with some of that food. Please read on.

The best part of this congregation is the people; they are genuine, warm, funny, and come from all over the world. During each holiday, the shul tries to incorporate as many traditions from the different backgrounds as possible. It usually provides for a fun and unique Jewish experience. This year, instead of just reading the Four Questions in Hebrew and English, I got to also hear them in French, Spanish, Dutch, Hungarian, Russian, Swedish, and Welsh! I learned that most people struggle in their own language with the words "leavened/unleavened," the Welsh translation takes about five minutes longer, and that this night really was different from all other nights!

Then we beat each other with root vegetables. Really. In an old Persian tradition, everyone is given a scallion and then flogs each other with them during the chorus of "Dayenu." I think this ritual comes from simulating the whip of the taskmaster (the holiday is about our exodus from slavery, after all), but when someone hands me a spring onion and instructs me to whack my neighbor with it repeatedly, I don't ask too many questions. So there we were, well-dressed, respectable adults hitting each other with scallions while singing about Gd. Again, this night was indeed different from all other nights.



I will certainly miss this congregation, but I have exchanged emails with some of my dearest friends and even hope to possibly join the shul again next year for a holiday while I'm in Europe. And if I have to lash them with groceries to do it, well I'm just that dedicated to Judaism.


Happy Pesach,
kosher matzah

No comments:

Post a Comment