Tot Ziens...
Friday was my last day at work. There was an afscheidsfeestje (going away party) in my honor and some of the adults who usually don't come to the community on Fridays came especially for me. It was difficult to get through that hour and a half without tearing up, and it's a bit difficult to blog about it without getting teary as well.
I really loved my work. I have been with such special people; the people I've worked with are sweet, they're interesting, involved, intelligent, and kind. I have really become friends with many of them. We share inside jokes, have great memories together, and know each other very well. The fact they have autism makes no difference in how close we got or how much we have done together; they are my friends and I will miss them greatly.
That being said, their autism did make a difference in how much I learned. Many of them are so high functioning that despite having a disorder characterized by
communication and social lacking, they can talk to me about their autism. We have had conversations about what it's like to be autistic, what it's like to get diagnosed, how it feels around other people, and why they do some of the things they do (e.g. clapping hands and rocking). Just picking their brains and actually getting to a point where they were comfortable talking to me about autism was amazing. This experience has surpassed anything I could have imagined. I have learned more than I could have expected and made friends I will always cherish and miss.
So the party...there was cake! And presents! The group as a whole gave me a few presents, as well as some of the individuals. I was nearly in tears when I got cards and gifts from some of the adults. One girl got me a basket of Easter chocolates that she decorated herself and wanted me to share with my parents (sorry, M&D, they aren't making it that far!) One guy who couldn't make it on Friday wrote a card and had my boss give it to me. Another who could make it to the party got me a card with very nice sentiments. Part of the gift from the group was a picture in a frame- one I had helped "Paul" make during our time together. I assured Paul and the group that that picture was going up on my wall as soon as I get home.
It was very sad saying goodbye. One girl was very upset during the party and Paul had a hard time when I actually left the building. I was very emotional leaving work for the last time and teared up a bit on the bus back to the station. I don't have the words to fully sum up leaving this community or the impact it's had on me. But I'll always have these many, many gifts from the last day...and the past 9 months.
xoxo
kw
ps another REALLY interesting article!
No comments:
Post a Comment