Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sophie

A few Fridays ago I had a very special afternoon. Hanne, a Belgian friend and social worker, asked if I could help her with one of the girls she aids. Sophie is a teenager who goes to public school, loves to play music, and enjoys horseback riding. She is also in a wheelchair with little control over her muscles and mainly talks through a computer or the word-chart on her chair. Sophie was doing a project for school on religion; she chose to focus on Judaism, watched a documentary on the religion, and wanted the chance to interview a Jewish person. As Jews are hard to find in Western Belgium, I was sought out for the job. It was a really great experience talking about Judaism with Sophie, one I'd like to share.

Hanne and I went over to Sophie's house, where we sat at the dining room table as Sophie (via her computer) asked me a few questions and I answered as best I could in Dutch. It was wonderful talking with her. She asked me things about the role of men and women in Judaism, about kosher laws, the Sabbath, if we have someone like a priest, how strictly Jews must abide by the rules of the religion, etc. When she had follow up questions, Hanne would ask her "yes" or "no" questions, guessing first what her question might relate to and then guessing more specifics, with Sophie nodding either to the right or the left to answer. Sometimes the topic was so interesting, Hanne would ask Sophie if it was alright if she asked some questions, too!

It was awesome talking to Sophie. I felt like I was really having a conversation with her, despite the communication boundaries. I looked into her eyes, was patient while she answered, and could tell in her movements that she was reacting to what I said. She seemed to really be enjoying herself, sentiments echoed by Hanne afterward. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to get to know Sophie because it's not something a lot of people get to do. She is a very special girl, who had lots of normal teenage interests and talents, and is a pleasure to be around.

I also just had a great time talking about Judaism. My religion is a big part of my life, so being able to share it with interested subjects was really fun. Sophie and Hanne were very respectful and genuinely interested in what I had to share. It was fun talking all about my culture and being proud of Judaism for some of the answers I was giving. The whole conversation felt really nice, as I enjoyed educating and they enjoyed learning.

Just a small story, but I wanted to share! I have been back in America for a few days now, so this will probably be the last I do as the kosher waffle. Stay tuned!

xoxo
kw

No comments:

Post a Comment