Tuesday, March 30, 2010

We Came. We Saw. We Ate (Again).

While the majority of our Italian adventure is captured in the posts "All You Need Is Love. And Cake." and "We Came. We Saw. We Ate," I cannot skip over the time we spent in Naples and Pompeii! Our incredible journey began with three days in Florence, two days in Rome, and two days on Capri. After these packed yet entirely enjoyable days, we spent an afternoon in Naples and a day at the historic site of Pompeii. Food, history and beauty- right up our alley!

Honestly, Naples wasn't really much to see. There are a lot of old, historic buildings, but such is Italy. The one place we did make sure to go was the National Archeological Museum, because half of what was found in Pompeii has since been removed and placed here! While walking through Pompeii, the guide book often details an object and then says "(in Napoli Museum)." So we made sure to see what was in Pompeii before we went to the actual site!


We also learned that Naples naturally takes their food VERY seriously- and they like to fry things! We kept getting all sorts of delicious appetizers filled with rice, cheese, potatoes, even just dough with tomatoes on top, and everything was incredibly delicious! They also had some of the best pizza of our trip- you can see in the second picture that the pizzas were divided up into five or six sections, with each part featuring a different delicacy, including the sumptuous regional Pecorino cheese. It was a really good thing we spent all day Saturday walking around...



Pompeii is a unique experience, one I would definitely recommend. I had been there about ten years ago with my family, but found exploring the ancient site in March far more pleasant than in July- it was about 30 degrees cooler and 3,000 people less crowded! Buried for nearly 1,600 years following the disastrous explosion of Mt. Vesuvius, visiting Pompeii is like stepping back in time to a nearly intact turn-of-the-millennium Roman city. Kaitlyn and I had such nerdy fun discovering what life was like and marveling at the decor and art that still prevails centuries later. The frescoes that remain covering the ancient walls are astounding- not only are they so well-preserved centuries later, but they give a real insight into the art and culture of that time. As I said, it's an excursion I would recommend!





After Pompeii, we ate, we hugged, and we went our separate ways (tear). It was a holiday I will never forget and honestly am not sure how I can ever top! Spending a long week in Italy with Kaitlyn was such a treat and a big highlight of my European adventure. Thanks for checking out my posts and sharing in some of the fun!










xoxo
kw (and ke!)

No comments:

Post a Comment