Friday, March 26, 2010

Chickety China the Chinese Chicken

One week left in Belgium. Craziness! It doesn't feel like I just got here, but it also doesn't quite feel like it's time to leave. Next week at work there is a big play we're putting on with the kids. It is a big event and almost fitting that it coincides with my departure. The play will be presented on Wednesday and Thursday, and then Friday is my last day, feestje (party) included. It is a big week coming up with lots of excitement mixed with sadness!

This week while preparing for the play with some of the kids, I got to spend time with a few of my favorites. Oli, an adorable 10-year-old, remembered that I was supposed to be here until the end of May. I couldn't believe he remembered that! It broke my heart to tell him that, actually, I'll only be here through the end of the play. He said that is sad and he will miss me. It was just the sweetest thing that warmed and rung my heart simultaneously. I told him I'll miss them and that they are very special kids. I hope they remember that/me. It was so much fun spending one-on-one time with some of the kids as we made decorations for the play. They fill my heart with such joy and I will carry them with me forever!

As I've mentioned before, the end of a big chapter in my life leaves me in a reflective mode. I've really been thinking a lot about what I've gained from this experience, fully knowing that most of any changes probably won't be apparent until I get home and settled back into my American life. I do know that I feel calmer, more at peace and more positive. I feel very balanced- not much knocks me off my feet.

When I was in Madrid and got my passport stolen, Marisa kept asking me, "What are you on? If it were me, I'd totally be freaking out right now! I'm taking this worse than you are!" Yesterday I was discussing my herniated disk with a friend, and he was saying how this would have made him completely upset; he would have been pissed that an injury was interfering with his time abroad. In both of these instances, I've felt like there's only so much in my control and I can either allow these things to impede my good time, or I can focus on the positives and tune out the lesser ordeals. It feels really good to be in a place that's optimistic and relaxed. I really feel so blessed in my life, it seems easy for me to focus on all these blessings.

So here I sit, one week left in Belgium. My back is getting in the way of me helping out with play preparations, but I refuse to let it get in the way of me seeing the play or saying goodbye to everyone before I go! It should be an emotional and exciting week. I will, of course, keep you posted :)

xoxo
kw

No comments:

Post a Comment