Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Smooth Criminal

Yesterday I went to the Hague. Voluntarily and with a return ticket. When you're not being held inside one of the historic and terribly important structures, it's a lovely city to visit! One of the many things that makes Holland unique is the fact that while the capital is Amsterdam, the seat of government is in the Hague (Den Haag). As the Netherlands has a very long and rich history (and by rich I mean they've been ruled by everyone from the Roman Empire to Austria to Spain to Napoleon), the Hague is an epicenter of this change.

One of the most important and impressive places to visit is the Binnenhof and Ridderzal, literally translated to the "Inner Court" and the "Knights' Hall." The Binnenhof is where the
government meets, and its history goes back to the 13th century, before the country even existed. Fuedal lords, counts, and conquerors (including Napoleon's brother) have used this space as a central location from which to rule, and subsequentally be accessible to the people. The structure(s) reflect the long and often jarred history- many of the buildings are from different periods and were built in different architectural styles, so that the Medieval Ridderzal is juxtaposed with a French-style wing of the Binnenhof. It really is a fascinating place to visit, especially knowing how much has happened on those grounds, and how much this area means to the country as it is their symbol of democracy.

Coming into the modern day, I took a tour to see part of parliament, and was able to sit in the Tweede Kamer, the Second Chamber. The tour was all in Dutch, and I realized how friggin good I am at faking it til I make it! Wow, I am quite something at pretending I'm listening and showing understanding, and I'd like to thank North Farmington High School for this life skill. Anyway, from what I gather, their parliament system is similar to England's and this chamber is the lower of the two, but the most representative of the people. It was humbling to sit in the chamber, see how the seating was arranged, and feel patriotic toward a country of which I am not a citizen. Unfortunately they don't allow pictures inside, but I DID see something very cool I'd like to share. On any given day in NL you'll see two things: the tallest person you've ever seen in your life, and the most efficient thing you've ever seen in your life. This building has motion-sensitive escalators. As in, they're just stairs, not using any energy, until you're about to step on and then they move. How cool! Yes, I know, I'm easily amused...



The next stop on the Hague tour was of course the Mauritshuis. Built in the 17th century and restored in the early 18th, it's a special and homey feeling museum adjacent to the Binnenhof that holds many Dutch/Flemish treasures, including Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and a dozen or so Rembrandts. Instead of being a large, white-walled, cold museum, the Mauritshuis is of the older museum traditions and is small, cozy, and has as much focus on the frames, wallpaper, and layout as it does on the paintings. One of the painters showcased was a deaf-mute Dutchman named Henrick Avercamp. During his time (early 17th century), people with disabilities were institutionalized. But by learning a skill and proving his talent, he became one of the foremost painters of landscapes. Much of his work is now on display at Windsor Castle, rounding out this touching story.

The best thing I saw, though, was at lunch. While I was sitting in a very lovely cafe facing the window, I noticed the boy on the other side of the glass had a disability. I'm not positive, but my educated guess would be he has mild mental retardation. In any case, I sat there watching him, amazed. He was so precious and I just wondered what was going on in his head, what was he thinking as he played with the palms of his hands? Observing this very special child got me incredibly excited for my project in Belgium, and I can't wait to meet all the special children who are waiting for me in Brugge.

Next I passed by the Vredespalais, a building donated by Carnegie which houses the International Court of Justice and Permanent Court of Arbitration. I had the weirdest sensation while on the tram- it was like being in DC, but on the OTHER side of tourism. I was passing by these noteworthy monuments and historic buildings and statues, and I was the only one on the tram looking up to take notice. In DC, I passed Arlington Cemetary every day, walked with my friends by the Capital, and lazed on the National Mall, always noticing every tourist and thinking "wow, I'm definitely not like that!" And yesterday I was! Weeeeeird


Latest vocab words:
kade: quay
roer: rudder
bieslook: chives
haaitanden: shark teeth. They are also these white triangles painted on the road to indicated "yield."
naai: sewing
pers: the press
valk: falcon
echt waar: really. Such as: Mom, "After 41 years, I finally understand your father!" Me, "Echt waar!"

Thanks for reading!
xoxo
kosher waffle

ps- this miniature model of the Binnenhof made me want to race a toy Delorean down the main street to see when the lightening would strike the clocktower:

5 comments:

  1. Was that mention of the tallest person you've ever seen just meant to tease me? I think it was... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I see the tallest Catholic I've ever seen, then definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (This is from Dad.) Your blog is a pleasure to read - like a novel, travel log and journal all in one. The NFHS comment was beautiful. Also caught the Back to the Future reference. Your reaction to the child at lunch was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey valerie i love reading your blog! i know how much i appreciate comments on mine, so i just wanted to let you know i am enjoying learning about what you are up to. i cant wait to hear about your project once you start it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying reading of your exploits abroad. Most especially, however, I love the photo at the top of the blog; it never fails to make me smile :)
    I want to know what's on the fork, because it does not look like a waffle to me..!

    ReplyDelete