A brief history: Rotterdam was officially made a city of Holland by Count Willem IV of (you guessed it) Holland in 1340, and shortly after a shipping canal was constructed, making the area a key port for access between northern Holland and England and Germany. The city was therefore able to urbanize and become one of the most important in the country, remaining significant through the centuries, including the magnificent "Dutch Golden Age" in the 17th century. All of this Golden grandeur could be seen throughout Rotterdam...til the German's bombed them to bits in 1940. This statue, inscribed with "Unbroken Resistance" is one of many landmarks in Holland memorializing the spirit of resistance the Dutch had during their occupation/the war. Not much of the original city remains, and instead it is now a "modernized" city. But since it was modernized decades ago, it just looks like a dumpy 70s concrete-and-glass jungle. Beautiful.
There is one true gem of the city, the Museum Boijmans van Beuningen. It's incredibly well organized, so that each room takes you through art history from the middle ages to modern day, and placards on the walls of each room explain the period and artistic significance. I found the evolution of art fascinating, especially since there were not only works by famous Dutch painters (I've seen so much Rembrandt the past few weeks I think we're technically involved), but Degas, Monet, and Dali. I really appreciated the way this museum is organized, and I encourage anyone who is going to Rotterdam (sorry) to visit this museum. Oh- and it's free on Wednesdays!
On the opposite end of the pleasant scale, Rotterdam has a lot of random modern art laying
Back in the pretty parts of the country, I decided to pop back into A'dam for an afternoon and do
Oh Rembrandt, I cannot escape thee. In case you doubted the seriousness of our relationship, I
The next stops on my self-guided tour were of monuments. The remnants of the Jewish quarter are marked in various ways, and these markers are often all that is left. The Dutch are very proud to have helped the Jews as much as they could during the war/occupation. The Jewish Resistance Fighters Memorial is dedicated to the Jews who tried to evade Nazi control and to the Dutch citizens who helped. It reads (I think) in Dutch: "As a reminder of the resistance to the fallen Jewish citizens." I'm going to guess that's what it says in Hebrew, but I'm not the rabbi of the family.
On a similar note, "The Dockworker" is a bronze statue in one of the areas where Jews were to wait before being departed for the camps. In February 1941, Amsterdam workers held one of Europe's largest anti-Nazi strikes to protest the persecution of the city's Jews. This statue, which simply says the date of the strike, commemorates this event. You can see the pained look on the dockworker's face...it's both touching and painful at the same time.
Okay, I know this is a very long post, but if I don't do the Jewish quarter justice I will hear it from family members in this life AND the next. Only two more stops on the tour, and then you
And there you have it, Jewish Amsterdam. There's more to see (the Anne Frank House is on the other side of the city), but I'm hoping that's enough to get me out of going to the High Holidays this year. Thank you for reading, it's dam appreciated.
xoxo
kosher waffle
"To the memory of the Fighters of the Underground Resistance in the years..." :-)
ReplyDeleteHorray for the true Rabbi of the family! Thanks for the authentic translation.
ReplyDeleteNot to one-up the family rabbi, but as the resident scholar of Semitics, I must point out that the word "resistance" doesn't actually appear in the Hebrew. It just says "in memory of the underground fighters in the years..."
ReplyDelete(if we're being precise)
;-)
Considering the attention for the correct translation of the Hebrew text I dare to give my suggestion for improving the translation of the Dutch text:
ReplyDelete"In memory of the resistance by the fallen Jewish citizens."
For those who read Dutch there is a precious little book by Abel Herzberg titled Brieven aan mijn kleinzoon (Letters to my grandson)in which he describes his Jewish family partly from or still living in eastern Europe. In the years before the war his father helped poor jews from eastern Europe emigrate to the Americas. I don't know if there is a translation in English.
I really enjoy this blog, Valerie!!
Daan (Emily's stepdad)