Saturday, August 22, 2009

DL in the NL


After a week of adventure, I need to downshift. It was a great period of new people, new language, new experiences... and now I'm kinda pooped. So I'm taking a step back and pacing myself. I don't want to burn out or get so emerged in new-ness that I start to resent it. Balance, as Mom always says (see, I listen! sometimes.)

Fortunately, I'm able to spend the next week in Leiden, which is a home away from home for me. There are many things I like about Leiden, but what I love is that it doesn't feel so foreign to me and I can just be. Or as Dad says, its like studying abroad without the studying. I'm okay with that. Emily's family is again incredibly giving, and I'm staying at her step-brother, Folmer's, while he's on holiday for the week. I am watering the plants and getting the mail, so I'm earning my keep. We'll see if I throw any kermisborrels while I've got my own place.

With one week left in Nederland, what will I be doing with myself? In addition to possibly seeing the latest Harry Potter (en de halfbloed prins) at the theater, I'll
probably take some day trips around Holland dotted with plans with friends. Leiden has a lot of summer activities, in addition to a year-long Leiden-Japan relationship celebration, so I should have an interesting and culture-filled week. I hope to spend much time outdoors as the weather has been BEAUTIFUL! I resolve to not get sunburnt, as red only looks good in my hair.

A few random thoughts:
-I can't watch Law and Order here. I mean they get it on tv, but without the "BUM BUM" sound edited in. How can you call that L&O?
-Upon meeting me, most people my age will respond with "why don't you come on over Vaaaalerieeee" and continue to sing it whenever they see me. For you AARP members, its a song about a girl with ginger hair named Valerie, which is apparently very popular here. Glad I could have my reputation precede me.
-I friggin love Dutch bathrooms. They are the most efficient use of a square meter that ever existed. They are the size of a bathroom stall (and not the handicapped ones) and have a toilet, shower, sink, mirror, storage, calendar, hooks, shelves, and garbage. They are the water closet equivilant of a clown car. I think they're magical.

It's really beautiful here, but again I've confirmed that it's not where you are but who you're with that matters. It gets lonely on my own sometimes, which I know will get better when I start my program. But in the meantime it can feel lonesome being in a wonderful and picturesque place without people I love to share it with.

Keep in touch.
xoxo
kw

No comments:

Post a Comment