Saturday, April 14, 2012

Belgium de Lux

Things have been looking up lately in Luxembourg. I'm liking work more and feeling optimistic about my opportunities there, I've gotten to know some nice people I hope to become closer with, and Luxembourg as a place is starting to grow on me.



There has been a lot going on in the past week and a half, so I hope to share my recent experiences succinctly and without being (too) all over the place. Let's start with a quick trip to Belgium before we come back to Luxembourg.


In March, when I was still adjusting to my Lux lifestyle, I decided it would do me good to go someplace familiar and see friends for the long Easter weekend. I booked a relatively last minute trip for just €41 ($54), and for 3 hours on the train each way, I was Belgium-bound. I am SO glad I went! Many of my friends there were out of town, but I got to spend quality time with Tine, who I used to work with when I volunteered in Belgium, and Anne, who is a former EVS-er and always a blast (read: a lil crazy). Additionally, I had the chance go to my old synagogue for Passover (read this for my previous Passover experience there) and see old friends :) This year we did the four questions in ten languages!

Beating people with scallions during Dayeinu. I recommend reading the post linked above to understand :)

Be as crazy as you like in Belgium!

At one point, Anne and I got waylaid by a couple hundred zombies in the center of Brussels.

I can't stress how good it felt to be with people I love. I got to relax, hang out, eat well, and be myself. Tine even prepared an Easter egg hunt for me!! The weekend was also meaningful in that it reminded me of how relationships grow. I first met these two when starting out in Belgium, we became friends, and a few years later we're still close. I can only assume similar things will happen with the people I'm meeting now in Lux.

Back in Luxembourg, things have been busy. However, I have had the chance to get together with some of the wonderful people I have met. Last night I had a dinner party and there were nine of us here! In such instances, I am very blessed to have a dishwasher ;) It felt good to have my place/kitchen filled with people, and what lovely people they were. We'll have to do it again soon...and maybe with even more of us!

I am currently helping pilot an online course in Global Environmental Challenges, so my 'spare' time in April is being eaten up even more. I will post soon about Luxembourg, which I have yet to do since this is an odd place to wrap one's head around, and about my progress at the Red Cross. I am very keen to share these parts of my experience, but alas I must hit the books.

Photobucket

Until next time,
xoxo
VB

No comments:

Post a Comment