Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Being a Real Person

Here’s the thing about working full-time: it’s full-time. As in, you don’t have much time to yourself. Totally forgot this about the real world and now finding that my spare time is rare time. I’m trying not to let it get to me too much since I do only work 37-hour weeks and have (most) evenings and weekends free, plus can take as long as I want for lunch and wear jeans (win!), but I’m already nervous that keeping in touch with friends and blogging may suffer a bit in the way of being a Real Person.

So here goes, the answer to the oft-asked question, ‘What exactly are you
doing in Luxembourg?’ Until a week ago, I didn’t know much more than ‘working in the Communications Department,’ and ‘trying not to drown in French.’ Now I can give more details while confirming these initial nuggets.

The Communications Department at the Luxembourg Red Cross Headquarters consists of about 10 people. In theory, about 20% of my job will consist of helping this team with anything that has been, or needs to be, translated into English. On one hand, this is enjoyable, as I love and have a flair for editing. On the other hand, after a few hours I want to beg for mercy as I can only handle so much bastardization of the English language at a time. This is usually when I switch to the other 80% of my job…

Coordinating the International Section (IS). The International Section is a group of volunteers made up of non-Luxembourgers who help the Croix-Rouge Luxembourgoise (CRL). Nearly 40% of the Luxembourgish population is foreigners, so it’s a substantial section of the population this group is aimed toward. The IS has both social events for its participants and projects/activities that help either to raise funds for or awareness of CRL and its efforts.

It’s a great concept, except, right now, it’s a mess. The group doesn’t have many leaders, or many volunteers from the sound of it. Therefore I am to help bring in lots of volunteers, some of whom can be project managers and planners. I also need to help plan the upcoming events and determine what our agenda for 2012 will be. Right now I’m in the process of setting the mission, aims, and objectives of this group and what we can offer our volunteers. The hope is that by the time I am done here in one year, the group will be able to function on its own.

So far, it’s okay. Honestly, this isn’t my ideal job, but I do work with nice people and get a certain amount of freedom and responsibility. I think it will be a great learning opportunity and give me experience in many aspects of business in which I haven’t worked. And, most importantly, this will (hopefully) help those who need it in Luxembourg. The money (and awareness) this group raises will provide support for people who are struggling. I can’t think of anything better in a job. Except for when I worked at a place that had a 2pm cookie time. That was pretty awesome.

Voila, what I’m doing in Luxembourg. I have a lot going on outside of work as well; I have started to make friends with some really great people and begun to discover Lux (pictures to follow). Additionally, tonight starts my birthday festivities! Dinner out for about 10 people, then this weekend heading to Paris to turn 27. Even without the daily cookies, life is good. :)

Kisses,
Veggie Bourger

1 comment:

  1. "bastardization of the English language"...?
    surely you mean "bastardisation of the English language"..!

    ReplyDelete