Monday, December 7, 2009

Autism Speaks

Paul: Is it difficult for people with autism to adjust to new situations?
Me: Why do you think that? Did someone tell you that?
Paul: I have been told that many times. Is it true?
Me: What do you think?
Paul: Yes, yes, I think it's difficult. When I go home I have a difficult time to adjust. (Paul flaps his hands together, his self-stimulation for when he is overwhelmed/nervous/uncomfortable).
Me: That's okay.

Paul then went on to say how it's a "pity" that they have autism- it's not as difficult for other people, other people don't have it as hard as those with autism. All I could do was sit there and listen, amazed.

I had an incredible week last week, and it had very little to do with Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet. The people I work with are constantly amazing me, challenging me, and moving me. The next anecdote left me speechless.

When Sinterklaas and the two Zwarte Pieten came to the school last week, they did a big arrival show followed by smaller group activities for the kids. I stayed to help one particular group, and just as the first activity was getting underway, I overheard the conversation between two 10 year old best friend girls. "Do you think Zwarte Piet has autism? I think one of the Zwarte Pieten is autistic." I almost cried!

I also witnessed again that day how special this school is. The kids here are so supportive of each other, and really help out their peers. In my experience in school, kids were NEVER that nice! In gym class, the kids who are "helpers" really do a lot to make the activities possible for those who have trouble, and really encourage each other to complete whatever task is at hand. When one of the boys was terrified of the Zwarte Pieten, two of the other boys in his living group put their arms around him and told him over and over again that he'd be okay, they've got him. It is so sweet to see how these kids are so good to each other, and I can't help but be so thankful they're in this community as opposed to with kids who wouldn't understand them.

Scared of Zwarte Pieten? Okay, if two black-faced jesters threatened to kidnap me and smuggle me to Spain, I'd be scared too. As I was accomanying Sinterklaas and Zwarte Pieten around from living group to living group, I ran into one of the most precious little fellas I knew from art class. As soon as I entered the living group he looked up at me with his BIG brown eyes and said, "I'm scared of Zwarte Piet!" I told him it was okay, but he was NOT convinced...so I told him to sit down by me and he'd be fine. He sat down, grabbed my arm, wrapped it entirely around him, and CLUNG to it the whole time. When it was his turn for Sinterklaas to read to him out of the big book, I had to stroke his hair since he was so scared of the Zwarte Pieten looking at him. He is six years old, super precious, and I almost stole him to smuggle back to America.

I seriously love my job.

xoxo
kw

1 comment: