Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm not sick in the head; I just have autism


I've written quite a bit so far about the kids with whom I work- it's easy, they're cute. Just talk about the funny things they say ("what reading level are you in?") and post adorable pictures and done, talking about kids is easy. I haven't been able to talk about the adults yet because actually, I'm still wrapping my head around working with them.

I work with about 20 or so adults with autism each week. They're different from anyone else I've worked with with autism because they're incredibly high functioning. They get themselves to and from the community, are in charge of many administrative tasks in one of the offices, and most speak English, if not French or German as well. What is so impressive and inspiring about them, though, is how self-aware they are. They know they have autism, they know they're a bit different...and it blows my mind.

My first day, this darling 49-year-old guy "Paul" asked me, "Have you ever worked with autism before?" I said yes with a smile and he replied, "Do you like it? It takes a lot of patience." I don't know if someone told him it takes a lot of patience or if he has just realized it, but I was taken aback. He has since asked me if I enjoy working with autism, and I said, "Paul, we have a lot of fun together, don't we? Of course I like it!" He's able to tell me that he's feeling uncomfortable around me because I'm new, or that the surrounding noise is bothering him and that's why he's shaking his hands. I'm learning a lot from him, I can't wait to see what else I discover.

A few weeks ago, I sat with another guy on the bus home from the community. While asking him where he lived in Brugge he told me, "I live in a psych-place right now- but I'm not sick in the head; I just have autism." I was stunned, I could just nod and say "right."

I'd really like to talk to these guys more, find out what else they think and know about autism and how it makes them feel. That's what's so amazing about this- autism is a communicative disorder. You usually don't know what someone with autism is thinking, let alone what they're thinking about autism!

It can be hard to ask them questions, because despite having really great basic language skills, they don't always have the deeper understanding of a question. Paul can tell you he was born with autism, but gets a little upset if I ask him too many questions about it. I asked one of the younger guys if he remembered an event from when he was younger at the community, and he continued on his previous topic, I think not really understanding what I was asking. I'm still navigating the line, but I hope to continue learning so much from these guys, in so many ways.

That's it for now, I'd really love to hear your thoughts if you wouldn't mind leaving a comment!

xoxo
KW

ps. I made this in art the other week for Mama "why aren't you smiling?" Warner:

WANTED: KOSHER WAFFLE (I think it should say)

2 comments:

  1. (Dad) If you maintain a daily log or diary of interactions, thoughts, ideas, etc., you'll have a compendium of knowledge for your next step after Brugge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KW
    IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ADULTS THAT YOU ARE WORKING WITH ARE
    REVEALING A GREAT DEAL ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT AUTISM AND
    LIFE IN GENERAL, JUST THROUGH THEIR INTERACTIONS WITH YOU. KEEP
    UP THE GOOD WORK! YOUR BLOG IS FANTASTIC.
    THE SHOE
    PS KEEP PAINTING--YOU HAVE A GOOD FEEL FOR THE PAINTS.

    ReplyDelete