Sunday, November 1, 2009

Home Sweet Holland


Last weekend consisted of Michigan accents, tacos, and great American TV. Where was I? Breda, of course!

Breda is a ritzy city of about 200,000 in the south of Holland. Housing members of the regal Orange-Nassau family, Breda attracted many nobles and wealthy families throughout its history, establishing lavish residences and impressive Gothic churches. Unfortunately, much of the city was destroyed by a fire in the 16th century, destroying 90 percent of the buildings. The Grote Kerk (Great Church) survived to tell the tale and now towers over the rebuilt and still beautiful city.

Breda holds international significance as well- England's Charles II spent most of his exile from the Cromwellian Commonwealth in Breda. Additionally, the 1st Polish Armoured Division liberated the city from German occupation in 1944 and each Liberation Day a large Polish contingency visits Breda, which has a museum and monument dedicated to the Division as well as a Polish cemetary. Plus, Elvis' manager was born in Breda. Talk about significant!

That probably doesn't answer your question as to why I was in Breda. Other than missing a place where they speak actual Dutch, a friend of mine recently moved there! Wendi and I grew up together, but lost touch in high school. When I heard that she moved to the south of Holland I knew I had to go visit her! It was so wonderful to reconnect- we're very similar people and have a lot in common, it was really great to be with someone familiar and from HOME! She lives with her boyfriend, who is from Pinckney, Michigan, where I spent my summers growing up. We all talked about lakes and Cap'n Frosty's and Brighton...it was great. There were Michigan accents, we made tacos (I miss cheap Mexican food...), and had West Wing marathons. I was seriously as happy as a pig in poop!

It wasn't all eating great food in front of the TV (gd bless America)- Wendi and I
ventured into Dordrecht for a day trip. Dordrecht is the oldest city in Holland, with its city rights granted in 1220, and holds the oldest gymnasium (secondary school, not junior high torture chamber) in the country. Due to the all-too-common Dutch flooding, Dordrecht became an island in the 15th century. It's an interesting place with much cultural significance, both church and state-wise. In the 16th century, the Dutch declared their independence from Spain in Dordrecht and installed William of Orange as their leader. In the 17th century, the church leaders held a conference in Dordrecht to decide whether the orthodox Calvinists or the liberal Armenians would be the faith of the country (Calvin beat Hobbes on this one). And in the 20th century, it was occupied by the Germans, as is required to be considered a Dutch city.

The best part of the city was the Grote Kerk, the second largest church in Holland. It was remarkable. It easily displayed some of the finest stained glass windows I've ever seen, many of detailing the history of Dordrecht. There are dozens of chapels, a grand ceiling, and a very well-displayed Dutch version of the Ten Commandments (I zoomed in on "Honor Thy Mother and Father.")





I also located The Random Jewish Monument mandatory in all NL cities. The Dutch says, "You must tell it to your children;" can someone please translate the heebs? Toda.











And that was my wonderful weekend in Holland, where they speak my Dutch, have bagels (they don't even know what bagels are in Belgium!!), and house two lovely Michiganians:) I will certainly be going back!

xoxo
kw



Publish Post

3 comments:

  1. (Dad) Was Hobbes a liberal Armenian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hebrew translates the same as the Dutch
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!! Wow a lot shorter in Heebs...

    ReplyDelete