Hello! It has been too long since I've last updated my blog, and it's because I've been so busy! Let me begin to tell you what I've been up to:)
First and foremost, I moved in with a new host family! After only a few days with my old one it became clear that it would not work out. There were several issues, which I could easily detail in an amusing and long post, but I think Mama taught me better than to gripe about others publicly. However, if you want to know the scoop, just ask me in private, I'd love to dish it out;) My new family is a great fit- the Dad is Belgian and the Mom is originally from Singapore but spent much time in Canada. They have two daughters around my age who are at college and a teenage son (who's very sweet) at home. They've lived all over the world, including America and NL, so we have a lot in common! The mom is in my Dutch class and when she heard I was having problems with my old family offered to take me in. They're such nice people- always smiling and laughing, there are very few rules (namely, if I'm making myself something to eat I should offer to make the dad food as well. Just like home), and I don't really feel like a guest, I just feel at home. I feel so comfortable and I think this will be a great fit.
The only thing is I can't get my computer to connect to their wireless...so getting any pictures onto my blog will be an exercise in creativity. So apologies if they're not as visual as usual!
I enjoy Belgium, have a great home, and love my work! The one thing that is a bit frustrating right now is the language barrier. I try hard when I'm at work to only speak Dutch, but it's difficult to not be able to express myself fully. I don't mind being a simple person in my Dutch class, but in real life it's almost like I want to tell people "I'm smart, I swear! Hey, wait- I'm interesting...and funny! Really, I'm funny!!" because all I can say is "I find that nice." I feel really stupid sometimes just being quiet and not saying something, or knowing I could say something great if it were in English, but just have to sit and nod in Dutch. I don't mind the awkwardness or the process of bettering my Dutch, but it's so hard to not be able to be myself because of language.
I'm starting to think, though, that this is a blessing in disguise. If you're not familiar with autism, I highly recommend that you become so (here's the wiki page) It is mainly a communicative disorder, where individuals can't communicate well with others, both due to not processing incoming information/social signals properly, and the inability to express themselves. They have thoughts and hopes and fears just like everyone else, but they can't always let you know about them. They might appear to be quiet, unengaged, and even cold, but they simply don't have a thorough understanding of what's going on around them and even when they do, can't necessarily convey that. This is how I feel a good amount of the time in all-Dutch situations. I'm really trying to take these frustrated feelings I have and turn them into a learning opportunity so I can try to better understand some of the people I work with. Plus, I'm hoping that seeing this as a blessing will keep me from getting too stressed.
This is why I'm so glad I do what I do right now- help people with autism do art projects. Some of the work the community members come up with is astounding! There's one man who appears to be anti-social, quiet, and closed. However, he created such an extraordinary piece of art- a story with accompanying art and photo-album- that I feel like I have a better idea of what goes on in his head, who he really is. He has so much to say and so much talent, I'm beyond glad he has this outlet. I'm constantly amazed at work and learning so much.
Dutch words learned this adventure:
belachelijk- ridiculous
poetsvrouw- cleaning lady
klevereg- sticky
lijm- glue
hengel- fishing pole
reus- giant
middagdutje- afternoon nap. mmmmm.
English words that don't translate into Dutch:
Jack-o-Lantern
Germaphobe
Commitmentphobe
construction paper
tissue paper
"that's what she said"
Life lessons learned:
I would much rather someone seem rude because they don't know social protocols than to be nice and sweet but fake.
til next time,
kw
* if you want an explanation for my title, ask my family:)
(Dad) As you noted, your inabilities and frustrations at not being able to communicate freely in Dutch give you an incredible insight into the problems faced by those with autism. You will benefit from this experience as much as your residents will.
ReplyDeleteI think you're nice. And your theme song is now in my head. xo ddb
ReplyDeleteoh, i feel the same about the language. it`s so stupid that you actually, can`t be you, only because of the language. i have feeling, that these people in my work will never know me as well as i would like to know them and to know me.
ReplyDeleteActually there are Dutch translations for
ReplyDeletegermaphobe = mysofobie or smetvrees
and
commitmentphobe = bindingsangst.
If I go into amateur psychology mode I think that you don't want to know the translations because
"What I do love the most about Dutch is how simple I am in that language. I'm not a complicated person with issues, since I don't know how to say those things!" (Good intentions and word apprehensions, Sept. 15).
I guess you have to make a choice here "get complicated or stay simple". As a Dutch guy I am happy with every foreigner who takes the effort to learn his language!