Looking at my blog it would be easy to forget that I am actually here for a greater purpose, one beyond simply traveling, making friends, and enjoying local delicacies (mmm). But on Wednesday I began my volunteer project and I could not be more excited to share it with you!
I am working at a community for people with special needs, mainly autism and behavioral problems. Many of the people live in houses within the community- there are separate ones for children ages 6-12, adolescence 12-18, young adults 18-21, and adults of all ages. Additionally, many people with special needs who come to the community live at home or with friends in/around Brugge and commute to the center to participate in the activities- some are even on my bus in the morning! It's a really wonderful place, since everyone, regardless of functionality, can be included and receive the support and services they need. The whole thing is set up in the woods on a very calm, camp-like campus, which is very important for people with autism since it is not highly stimulating.
In additon to living centers, there is a children's school, an art center, and a small farm so the kids can connect with animals. Off campus there are the houses for adults, as well as a place that holds the candle making workshop and the printshop. This location has a store in front so local people from the area can purchase the artwork and goods the people in the community make. All the staff are really wonderful and have been very warm and helpful to me. The members of the community have also been so welcoming and really accepted me quickly- they're even patient with my Dutch since they know I'm trying to learn it better!
What I do there is pretty awesome. I work Tues-Fri from around 9:30-4/4:30 (til 6:30 on Wednesdays) and have Mondays completely off :-D Tuesdays and Thursdays I help adults with art projects. There is a big exhibit coming up in a few weeks so everyone is trying to get their pieces finished and presentable. Wednesday mornings I help with candle making (guess what you're getting for Hannukah this year, Mom, Dad, and Amanda!) and in the afternoons I'll help children with art projects. Fridays I help in the print shop and whatever else they need. It's pretty flexible and I can help out wherever they need/with whatever interests me, and everybody is happy to have me there.
I don't want to say the name of the organization or use the names of the people in the community since I'm not comfortable compromising their privacy, but I promise to share stories from my work, I'm sure there will be many! For now I am just enjoying every minute I'm spending there, especially the cookie breaks we have twice a day (technically they're coffee breaks, but I don't like coffee and I DEFINITELY like cookies). I walk around my "work" smiling and just taking it all in. Sometimes I feel like I'm not making the biggest impact on the people I'm working with, but I also know that I don't know what kind of impact I'm making yet. Even if they could technically get through everyday without me, I don't know what kind of difference I might make just being another smiling, friendly face for some of these wonderful people. I'm doing my best and certainly trying to learn something everyday- it's very easy to get inspired!
Let me know if you have any questions, I'd love to tell you more:)
Until next time,
kw
Your Mama is SO proud of you!
ReplyDeleteBe more specific on the types of cookies, please...
It sounds perfect!
ReplyDeleteI am sure that you are making a big difference in everybody's life everyday! (Dad)
ReplyDelete