Saturday, February 6, 2010

Veggie Haggis


Having gotten accepted to the Masters of Science in Health
Inequality and Public Policy (M-Schipp? Masters in Hipp? H.I.P.P Yeah you know me?) at the University of Edinburgh, I decided a visit to the Scottish capital was imperative. It's tough being me.

Edinburgh is another city with a very rich history. I choose to skip
most of it because, well, it's a bit complicated and can mostly be summed up in a few choice Shakespeare plays and Mel Gibson movies. However, the notable residents of the city is an impressive list that includes Sir Walter Scott, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson, Tony Blair, Alexander Graham Bell, Dolly the Sheep, and, of course, Harry Potter. Yes, Edinburgh is the birthplace of Harry Potter, and thus a very important city for the history of mankind.

So why am I looking at Edinburgh? The MScHIPP program (really, they NEED to get a better name for that) is unique in the world- I haven't come across anything like it and it fits two fields I'm interested in pursuing. Plus, it's a world class university ranked in the top 20 in the world, with former students/alumni including Charles Darwin, Gordon Brown, J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan), Adam Smith, James Clerk Maxwell (theory of electromagetism), and some of the authors listed above. Plus, the city itself has a really great college-town feel to it, is vegetarian friendly, and has many, many guys with accents. What more could a girl need?

I was in Edinburgh for about three and a half days, staying with a girl I know from
back home (yaaaaaay Michigan!) I have to say, it was SO much fun being in college again! We went out with her friends a couple times, I met different students from various places studying a variety of things, and we even went to the student center bar for a pub quiz! We saw a local band play at a coffee shop, got amazing Indian food, and I got to wander all around campus at see university buildings and signs for upcoming student events. It was really fun, and got me so excited to go back to school!

Still waiting to hear back from a few other institutions, but I liked both the city and the university of Edinburgh very much! And if I do choose it, I can go from being the Kosher Waffle to the Veggie Haggis! Either way, I'll definitely spend some time there next year:)

xoxo
kw

No comments:

Post a Comment