Saturday, October 17, 2009

It's a Tamarack Tie!

I work at summer camp. Well, technically I work at a community for people with autism in Brugge, but it feels a lot like making lanyards in backwoods Michigan. Luckily, there's no swimming in pee-infested lakes involved, so Brugge remains preferable.

I help both kids and adults with art projects, and sometimes when things are slow or the adults have a handle on their projects, I'll do some work of my own. I got to paint horses by a sunset, work on a self-portrait (hard! and creepy once it starts looking like you...), and sculpt a Cocker Spaniel out of clay. I had never really painted with acrylic before and I really enjoyed it! The art teacher told me I have talent and Mom said I could get a paint set when I get home:) I had no idea I would be working on this area of my personal growth, but I definitely think finding some creative outlets is a very good thing. I'm also involved in candle making (pumpkins and Christmas trees are currently in vogue) and helping kids make African masks out of recycled bottles and animals out of old shoes. The fact I get to call this my job is just incredible, and not having to suffer through camp food is a major plus.

My favorite time of the week is easily Wednesday afternoons, when I work with different groups of kids. I LOVE the kids, and yes I even have favorites! Some have taken to me quickly and it's so wonderful to feel like I've connected with them, especially since it can take kids with autism a while to open up AND we don't speak the same mother tongue. When I work with kids I'm very aware that all of us have a "handicap"- the kids have autism and I don't speak fluent Dutch (with the adults I can always use English if needed). We're all working together to create projects, think outside the box, and have a good time; it's so rewarding when we're able to accomplish all of this despite the various hurdles. Watching their minds work and race is a wonder to witness- the creativity of a child's mind is something to behold! My goal each Wednesday is to connect with a different kid, in hopes that a little extra work with one or two will really help open them up to another human being. I can't describe the feeling when you experience someone with autism warm to you- it's very special and worth any amount of effort. It's hard to leave them at the end of the day!

One thing people often don't realize about kids with special needs is that they're still KIDS! They can be stubborn or hyper or need some affection, not because of their "disability", but because they're 8 or 10 or 6. I love being around these kids who have their own setbacks but are still sweet and normal kids in so many respects. First of all, all the boys are obsessed with the Club Brugge soccer team and always want to make their projects the club's colors, blue and black. One kid, "Cody," did a bunch of drawings for me and the art teacher because he really enjoyed the class one day. Another, "Vick," is pretty attached to me and always wants to show me what he's doing with his project. Some of their smiles completely light up the room, and the look on their faces when they're proud of themselves is just priceless. Vick asked me the other day if I had kids, and Mom thinks it's because he senses I'm a natural:) I simply live for Wednesdays.

Again, I'm really happy to work somewhere that understands these guys. ADD and ADHD are common in kids with autism, just to add yet another challenge to their lives. So oftentimes the kids will act up, or get over excited about things, and if you didn't know what they were facing you'd think they were just bad kids. They're not bad at all! Cody once came up to me after art to apologize for not behaving that day- he said "I'm sorry," probably one of the only English phrases he knows. He's just a 10 year old who has a hard time controlling himself sometimes, and was so genuinely sorry afterwards I almost felt sorry! I feel very blessed to have the chance to see these kids for who they really are, not just their diagnosis or behavior.

Okay, enough gushing about the kids I work with. I could go on all day, and I should probably get back to my friendship bracelets. B.F.F.

xoxo
kw

ps. with the new host family, very comfortable and at peace. they are kind, giving, and vegetarian. and there are three very well behaved and sweet kids! happy waffle:)

1 comment:

  1. (Dad) I don't know who is rewarded more - you or the kids! Can yous sing Kumbaya in Dutch?

    ReplyDelete